Job TitleRestaurant Manager Posted: 4/04/2017
LocationBenihana - Chicago
Chicago, IL 60611
Founded in 1964, Benihana is the leading Japanese Restaurant in the dining Industry. The key to our success is simple: Our ability and passion for hiring the right people, investing in their training and development and keeping them happy! We recognize that growth and development is a process that never ends, that relationships need constant nurturing and that improvement is always possible.
We are always open to individuals that have the passion and commitment to grow with the Benihana Family and share in our Success!
- Seeks out and uses service-related guest feedback and takes appropriate action to continually improve the level of service, drive overall guest satisfaction, increase return visits and reduce guest complaints.
- Develops and implements plans to continually improve guest satisfaction in the areas of server attentiveness and table cleanliness.
- Concentrates on training service personnel, to continually improve the guest experience.
- Ensures safety, sanitation and security guidelines are followed at all times and immediately resolves any items identified in inspections.
- Reinforces suggestive selling behaviors by ensuring that the guest is invited to enjoy sushi, side orders, beverages and desserts as part of the dining experience.
- Is responsible for maintaining the Benihana standards of products, services and quality.
- Creates and fosters a culture to make wine and sake an integral part of every guest's dining experience.
- Creates an atmosphere that insures guests to feel welcome and wish to return.
- Sources, recruits and selects diverse, highly skilled service and front of house employees.
- Guarantees commitment to dress/grooming and personal hygiene standards.
- Ensures steps of service are consistently executed by training, developing and holding employees accountable.
- Supports other managers in food and beverage training to develop the front of house employees.
- Delivers timely performance feedback in the form of active coaching, counseling and recognition.
- Prepares fair and consistent front of house schedules in a timely manner.
- Ensures appropriate staffing levels to deliver a great guest dining experience.
- Takes necessary disciplinary action, including dismissal for unacceptable behavior or performance decisively.
- Conducts an all staff meetings at least once every four weeks.
- Is able to effectively address employee relations issues, appropriately problem-solve and liaison with the Human Resource department as necessary.
- Develops and implements service plans that outline specific initiatives to increase return visits.
- Inspires teamwork among managers to build guest counts, sales and earnings through providing a superior dining experience for the guest.
- Manages beverage costs and monitors to ensure that all beverages are properly pre-checked and accounted for.
- Is responsible for protecting the company's assets and interests from damage and theft. Keeps equipment functional.
- Takes a leadership role in initiating service standards that support the goal of delighting the guest.
- Demonstrates the appropriate level of knowledge and problem-solving and decision-making skills needed to drive service initiatives.
- Holds employees accountable for excellent service-related results and fosters an environment of open, clear, two-way communication.
- Gives feedback and offers retraining or redirection to raise performance.
- Quickly takes the necessary and appropriate action when performance falls below standards.
- Acts as an ambassador and enforcer of company regulations, policies and procedures.
- Has general knowledge of Japanese culture relating to the Benihana Concept.
- Must have thorough working knowledge of restaurant operational procedures in all phases including equipment.
- Has full knowledge of corporate regulations, policies and procedures.
- Has general knowledge of laws (both federal and local) that govern the restaurant industry.
- Is able to tabulate, compute and analyze business statistics of the Benihana Restaurant.
- Is able to use a personal computer or laptop computer provided by the Company for tasks given by the Company.
- Is able to operate and teach employees the P.O.S System.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Required: Two to five years of restaurant management experience working in a high volume full service concept.
Preferred: Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; one to two years restaurant management experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Contact Management systems, Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet software and Microsoft Word Processing software.
Other Skills and Abilities
Experience communicating and working with individuals from various socio-economic backgrounds
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and color vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.