Job TitleRA - Head Kitchen Chef Posted: 4/17/2017
LocationRa Sushi - Miami
Miami, FL 33143
Under the direction of management, is responsible for overseeing all food preparation, production and sanitation of kitchen and utility areas. Ensures the kitchen provides safe, eye appealing and properly prepared and flavored foods as directed by the Regional Manager and/or Chef and outlined in the RA Kitchen Manual. Maintains a safe and sanitary work environment for all team members.
In accordance with RA Sushi's service and cooking procedures:
- Plans and prepares menus, assists with preparation of budgets, maintenance of payroll, food costs, and other records.
- Ensures food preparation is consistent with quality standards.
- Trains employees in cooking methods, presentation techniques, sanitation practices and portion control.
- Assists the Regional Manager and General Manager with evaluations of kitchen staff by providing feedback on observations of staff performance.
- Trains employees on kitchen rules, policies and procedures as outlined in the RA Kitchen Manual and Employee Handbook
- Trains kitchen and utility staff in food production principles and practices. Works closely with Regional Manager and/or Chef in establishing quality standards for all menu items and for food production practices.
- Maintains established portion sizes and standards of service for all menu items.
- Controls food cost by following purchasing specifications, product storage requirements, standardization of recipes and waste control procedures.
- Controls labor cost by efficient scheduling and staffing per shift and utilizing the Labor Report Sheet.
- Establishes cleaning schedules, stock rotation schedules and other sanitary controls.
- Oversees quality control process using a variety of methods to ensure conformance to recipe and appearance standards.
- Assists in the education of employees on menu changes, shortages and specials.
- Maintains inventory levels and is responsible for food orders and purchases to ensure appropriate levels. Prepares monthly inventory reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned by a supervisor
- Four years restaurant experience as a lead line or head chef position
- Culinary degree a plus
- Bilingual preferred
- Food handling training as required by state and/or local laws
Competencies, Knowledge and Skills:
Customer Service: Ability to maintain a high degree of professionalism when interacting with employees and guests. Ability to monitor and anticipate guests' needs and respond accordingly in an effort to maintain a positive and enjoyable dining experience.
Communication: Must possess excellent verbal and nonverbal communication skills. Must be able to communicate and interact with colleagues and understand instructions, read and understand written directives, and be able to clearly communicate if s/he requires further direction. Must be able to interpret nonverbal cues in an effort to identify and correct potential problems.
Interpersonal Relationships: Ability to adapt and interact with a diverse group of people. Ability to maintain a professional and courteous demeanor during stressful and/or busy times. Must be able to work as part of a team and recognize the importance of each team member's role in the guest dining experience.
Physical Demands: Must be able to perform a variety of physical activities including, but not limited to, standing for long periods of time, climbing, walking, bending, reaching, and lifting up to 50 lbs. Ability to carry and lift cookware (pots, pans, etc) containing hot or cool foods and liquids.
Food Knowledge, Preparation, Production and Safety: Ability to prepare food for consumption with background knowledge of proper techniques and equipment to be used. Must be able to clearly explain how food is prepared, cooked, and served to guests. Knowledge of industry standards on food storage and handling techniques is highly desirable.
Problem Solving and Conflict Management: Must exercise sound judgment and possess good problem solving skills. Must have the ability to recognize and resolve problems in an appropriate manner.
Shift Flexibility: Must be able to work different shifts, include holidays, nights and weekends. Must be able to work overtime as required.